Fix the 6ix is a grassroots organization launched in 2016 by students at York University to address poverty in Toronto.
Fix the 6ix is rooted in the philosophy that Toronto belongs equally to everyone, and that much is to be gained by supporting all individuals who call the 6ix ‘home’.
Fix the 6ix works to advocate for and serve the homeless community in Toronto with no direct cost to the donor through their two programs,
This no-cost donation model includes:
- Providing goods and peripheral programming to shelters
- Donating gift cards to individuals on the street
- Humanizing homelessness by sharing the stories of those we serve
The program’s ultimate goals are to:
- Alleviate internal pressure on Toronto homeless shelters by subsidizing programming
- Give in-kind donations to individuals on the street that offer the power of choice
- Offer visibility and inspire a new understanding of the homeless community in Toronto