In these difficult times, we at West Neighbourhood House are continuing to work with the community to support our most vulnerable neighbours.
Sadly, Toronto is in the midst of a second wave of COVID-19 cases, and many Stage 2 restrictions, such as the closures of indoor dining and gyms, are back in place. For the time being, most of our programs will continue happening virtually — we don’t plan to do any further reopening of our in-person work at this time.
But we’re still here for you! To contact us for help, or for questions about our work during COVID-19, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (416) 532-4828. Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up with what we’re up to!
Our essential in-person services, which have stayed open throughout the pandemic, are open and accepting new participants. From time to time, we will also provide some in-person support to participants from other programs, if there is an urgent situation.
Programs that are open in-person
- Meals on Wheels
- The Meeting Place drop-in for homeless members at 588 Queen St. W.
- Personal Support Worker care for seniors at Home Support and at Parkdale Assisted Living
- Affordable after-school care for children attending Pope Francis Catholic School, Holy Family Elementary School, Queen Victoria Public School (Parkdale) and Ossington/Old Orchard Junior Public School
- Home at Last, to support people to make a safe and smooth transition from hospital to home
Other programs are happening remotely, on platforms such as Zoom and Facebook Messenger, as well as over the phone. We’re welcoming new participants!
Programs happening remotely
- Newcomer Youth Leadership Program
- Online preschool program & parent support
- Seniors’ recreation and social programs
- Women’s Empowerment counselling, crisis intervention & housing help for women and children experiencing violence in English, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin and Hungarian
- Music school and choirs
- Free one-on-one tax and money help for low-income people
- One-on-one help finding a job or job training at WEST Employment Services & Training
- Case management
- Adult learning programs
- Newcomer settlement programs
Thanks so much for your support and patience during this time. The most important thing you can do to help us, and everyone in the community, is continue doing your part to stop the spread.
Please wear a mask or face covering in public, wash your hands frequently, stay home if you feel sick, and keep two metres of space between yourself and others who are not in your social circle. We can get through this if we support our neighbours!