Description & Details
Income Tax Assistant (1033 King St. West)
The Financial Empowerment and Problem Solving Program (FEPS) at West Neighbourhood House help low-income people with tax returns throughout the year and holds free Income Tax Clinics during the tax season. Program participants include newcomers, homeless individuals, youth and seniors who reside in our catchment area. FEPS also provides education and public awareness to community members regarding the benefits of completing and filing returns. Volunteers who speak other languages will be an asset in assisting individuals and families in completing income tax returns.
Volunteer Duties & Responsibilities:
- Complete personal income tax returns for low income individuals
- Assist the staff in educating public about the benefits of doing income tax returns every year
- Ability to work independently within a team environment
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality
- Must be punctual and reliable
- Participation in volunteer job related training workshops and meetings
- Be welcoming, friendly and open-minded
Have some previous experience in filing your own (personal) income tax with the Canadian Revenue Agency
- Confident in using the computer
- Good communication skills
- Understand the challenges experienced by low-income individuals
- Friendly, reliable, responsible, non-judgmental and non-discriminating
- Flexible and willing to learn
- Second language is a asset, especially: Hungarian, Arabic, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Urdu, Mandarin, Tibetan, Tamil, Vietnamese, and Spanish
Orientation, Training and Benefits:
- West NH staff and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will provide orientation and training before volunteers are placed in the program
- Training sessions will be held during weekday and evening hours in February.
- On-going support provided by staff
Program Time and Location:
- Training will be held in February and Income Tax Clinics will operate from March 1 to April 30, 2023.
- Income Tax Clinics will be scheduled at different locations in the catchment area of West NH, including partner agencies in downtown west Toronto.
- Orientation and Software training sessions in February
- 3 hours per week (minimum) from March 1 to April 30, 2023
- Weekdays between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm. and evenings from 3 pm and 8pm. or every other Saturday between 10am to 3pm.
Contact Information: *Recruitment starting January 6th, 2023!*
Please contact the Volunteer Program: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-532-4828, ext. 105.