Filing taxes when you work for cash - West Neighbourhood House

do I need to file taxes if I work under the table? you could be leaving money on the table if you do not!

Many websites say you MUST file a tax return, but that’s not true!

If …

  • You want to get cash benefits from refundable tax credits,
  • You took money out of an RRSP to buy a home and didn’t put it back,
  • You have a spouse who needs benefits that require you to file your taxes,
  • You paid tuition fees you want to get a tax credit for in a future year,
  • You owe money to the Canada Pension Plan or Employment Insurance,
  • You sold taxable property or the home you lived in,
  • Want payments from government programs that require you to file, or
  • You think you owe tax money,

If you are low-income, government likely owes you money!

Most of the time, if you are low-income, the CRA owes you money and not the other way around. Make sure you’re not missing out on the cash refunds and benefits that might be available to you.

Back to top