Many websites say you MUST file a tax return, but that’s not true!
- You want to get cash benefits from refundable tax credits,
- You took money out of an RRSP to buy a home and didn’t put it back,
- You have a spouse who needs benefits that require you to file your taxes,
- You paid tuition fees you want to get a tax credit for in a future year,
- You owe money to the Canada Pension Plan or Employment Insurance,
- You sold taxable property or the home you lived in,
- Want payments from government programs that require you to file, or
- You think you owe tax money,
If you are low-income, government likely owes you money!
Most of the time, if you are low-income, the CRA owes you money and not the other way around. Make sure you’re not missing out on the cash refunds and benefits that might be available to you.